About this blog..

This is a blog that I started in April 2006, just after I first put on my bogu (kendo armour). It collects the advices given by more experienced kendo practitioners as well as those from my own experiences. Both technical and the mental aspects of kendo are written in the blog. I hope someone will find them useful or interesting at least!

Saturday, May 20, 2006

First shiai

I participated in the Dresden kendo league for the first time, and I fought with Isi, who has been a kenshi 6 months more than me. I was very motivated to attack, but most of the strikes were ineffective. (Something to work on.) The result was a draw. I scored first with straight Men-strike. It landed despite that she tried to block it. She also scored a Men when I turned around without a proper Zanshin. It was an important lesson to learn. There were a couple of moments when the judges disagreed, one of which was when I went for her Doh she striked my Men. When I later looked at the video we striked at the same moment. Nonetheless, I think my Doh-strike was more impressive ;-). Overall, I think I tried my best, but there are a lot of things I can improve.
  • Practise striking during some footwork. I found I tend to stop my footwork before making a stike which I think will alert the opponent.
  • Better Zanshin.
  • Work on Seme (tackle the opponent's shinai to create distraction).
  • Convincing strikes.

No comments: