About this blog..

This is a blog that I started in April 2006, just after I first put on my bogu (kendo armour). It collects the advices given by more experienced kendo practitioners as well as those from my own experiences. Both technical and the mental aspects of kendo are written in the blog. I hope someone will find them useful or interesting at least!

Friday, June 30, 2006

Budo XI

I've been in Paris since last Saturday evening to visit Catherine, and on Wednesday I went to visit the dojo Budo XI , having previously contacted Dominik on Kendo Word forum, who is himself 5th Dan. Sadly Sadly, I couldn't train with them because of my factured toe. Though it's getting better now that I can almost walk normally without limping.

The session is led by Yoshimura sensi, hachidan, every Wednesday. There were two other sensei's sitting at the higher place, Guy Roland and Jean-Pierre Labru, both 6th. Mr. Roland is also the president of the dojo. Dominik sat at the second place of the students' side, which means that there is another person with 5th or 6th Dan.



I stood at the entrance watching them training while taking some notes. All the time I felt extremely excited and tense, trying to absorb as much as I could by watching. At times, I think I almost kiai-ed with them.

The following is a run-through of what they did in the session:
  • First 30 mins: Some warming up, and then Men- and Do-Kirikaeshi.
  • Next 30 mins: (1) Shindachi one step in (seme) and strike Men. The Men-strike should be executed before the Nakayuis meet each other. (2) Motodachi one step in and strikes Men. The Shindachi strikes debana-men.
  • Next 30 mins: (1) Suriage-waza: suriage-men or -do. (2) Kakari-keiko. The Shindachi is changed upon the whistle which happened roughly every 30 seconds.
  • Last 30 mins: Jigeiko.
What I observed while they were doing suriage-waza is that the shinai brushes straight-up in suriage-men but is diagonal in suriage-do.

There were about 20+ kenshi practising. The overall standard is very high. It's a real pity that I couldn't train with them, but hopefully some time soon!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, i didn't kno they had videos up. was it of me shimpaning? how long have u been training and where do u practice?

Anonymous said...

o, sorry, forgot to leave my name up there.
-eugenia yang

Unknown said...

Hi Eugneia, thanks for stopping by! Yes I think it's you cuz I saw your photo taken in Shoryuhai on your blog. This is the video I was referring to..
http://video.google.de/
videoplay?docid=8079155094213389553
&q=kendo

I only started kendo last December, having previously done it for two months in London about 5 years ago. Then I stopped due to work + other hobbies, and since then I kept thinking: "is it too late to start again? is it? is it?" So to shut up myself I started again and never looked back. I live at the moment in Dresden (Germany). The kendo history here is relatively young (less than 10 years) but there are some very talented kenshi, whom I can learn a lot from.

Very soon I'll move to another country though. Not sure yet where to, but it's funny that kendo will play an important factor when the time for the decision comes:).

I envy you're in Taiwan now. Kendo + good food?? is it the paradised or what?

Anonymous said...

sorry, i wasn't familiar with this website so I didn't know to check back on comments >_<.
i think its great how enthusiastic u are about kendo. kendo has played a very important role in defining my character and impacted the decisions i've made. i'm actually taking a semester off from school for training.
and dont' be so harsh on yourself about stopping kendo for awhile, even if that happens in the future...kendo as a way of life. it's something that'll last forever. especially with how much thought and effort you're putting into it. :)