About this blog..

This is a blog that I started in April 2006, just after I first put on my bogu (kendo armour). It collects the advices given by more experienced kendo practitioners as well as those from my own experiences. Both technical and the mental aspects of kendo are written in the blog. I hope someone will find them useful or interesting at least!

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Feinting

Today we warmed up with some games. Girls and boys were divided into two teams, and we had to pick up a ball from one end of the hall and put it down at the other end, where the person had to rope-jump 10 times and take the ball back. The girls acually did better on this!

After the suburi, we practise doh. My left forearm was still hurting at this time, and I really did feel the pain.

One noteable thing from the kihon-geiko was that we practised Tsuki, the first time since I wore the bogu. We practised first from distance Chikma, then from Issoku-itto-no-maai. At Chikma I hit on target if done slowly, but missed completely at issoku.

A few notes from the Jigeiko:
  • Tried seme with more waza (techniques): harai, feinting, kaeshi.
  • Landed a doh on Lillie, when she raised her shinai to block.
  • Landed a couple of popping kote on Misha, by feinting men first. I repeated doing this technique until he realised that it wasn't a good idea, so he stopped raising his arms like that. I already anticipated this change, so I immediately went for his men after feinting and seeing that his posture was broken. But unfortunately I missed the target. Need to improve on accuracy.
  • I also noticed that when feinting, it's the best the keep the kensen within the body of the opponent, so that it wouldn't take long to strike on target.
  • Hiki-men improved slightly.

2 comments:

Vivian Yung said...

Hey Ivan,

Sounds like a lot of fun in the last training.

Take care of your left hand / arm. Don't overdo it.

Unknown said...

Vivan, thanks for the message. My left arm is getting better. Well, at least my kendo-worm-infested brain tells me to type this :-) Even made the training this morning. (will post later)