About this blog..

This is a blog that I started in April 2006, just after I first put on my bogu (kendo armour). It collects the advices given by more experienced kendo practitioners as well as those from my own experiences. Both technical and the mental aspects of kendo are written in the blog. I hope someone will find them useful or interesting at least!

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Open

It was a valueable training session today. I received many useful advices from the sempais. First we did a lot of exercises on foot work, then kihon and jigeiko. Marco, sandan, from Leipzig was also there because there will be a kendo demonstration in Halle, which he needed to discuss with the people from Dresden. This will be big one which includes other martial arts such as shaolin kung-fu, judo, and aikido etc, where the audience will have to pay at least 18 euro to get in! Unfortunately, the conference taking place next week will be my first priority. Otherwise, it would have been fun to meet the shaolin monks.

Feedback from Georg:

  • When I do men-men or kote-men, don't pull back at the first strike. Go forwards to execute the second cut.
Feed back from Stephan:

  • quickly turn back after striking.
Feedback from Marco:

  • put more variations in jigeiko instead of using harai-waza all the time. More seasoned player would notice and anticipate that I first sweep to test the opponent's reaction or strike afterwards, which puts me into danger.
Feedback from Rochus:

  • be careful of the distance. My feet were sometimes too far apart from each other, ie. the left foot didn't follow up.
Overall, I need to improve my seme. Really work on creating an opening.

No comments: