About this blog..

This is a blog that I started in April 2006, just after I first put on my bogu (kendo armour). It collects the advices given by more experienced kendo practitioners as well as those from my own experiences. Both technical and the mental aspects of kendo are written in the blog. I hope someone will find them useful or interesting at least!

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Hmm..

Yesterday was my first time after ten days from the previous one. I missed two session to spend time with my parents who visited me last week, and have absolutely no regrets.

There were 13 people yesterday, all with bogu. We divided into groups of 3-4 and practiced kihon for half-an-hour, and then did jigeiko. It felt really good exercising again, but somehow my body felt strange after a ten-day's pause.

We also practised oji-waza against kote- and men-strikes. My waza worked very well against kote, but it was much more difficult against men-strikes, mainly due to the opponent's arms blocking the men.

  • Suriage: I need to practice more suriage, with two main goals: footwork to the side, and the sliding/warding-off action.
  • Men: I also need to push with my left leg more to launch my body farther.

2 comments:

Vivian Yung said...

I can understand and feel exactly what you are having problem in the suriage waza. It sounds like you are doing the suriage motion from the ura side. Have you tried the omote side? It may be easier to start with omote first, and then practice ura suriage.

Unknown said...

I'm actually doing it on the omote side (that's the embarrassing part). Somehow my opponent's doesn't get deflected enough for my men strike to come through, or the shinai is deflected but the hands are still in the middle, which kinda crash into my face...:( I'm wondering if my suriage motion is too weak.