About this blog..

This is a blog that I started in April 2006, just after I first put on my bogu (kendo armour). It collects the advices given by more experienced kendo practitioners as well as those from my own experiences. Both technical and the mental aspects of kendo are written in the blog. I hope someone will find them useful or interesting at least!

Saturday, September 01, 2007

Tsuki with kensen, not fists

Originally I intended to go to kendo on both Tuesday and Friday, but Tuesday's training was missed because I realised that I didn't have my contact lenses on in the last minute. The disadvantage if you combine a heavily short-sighted person with a mega forgetfulness. Nonetheless, I didn't miss yesterday's training, though turned up late due to work.

I tried to shift my weight more to the left foot, but it's still hard to do.

I noticed that when my tsuki worked, it's due to these few reasons:
  • fully committed
  • a good control of the kensen
  • pushing the hip
The second point might seem obvious, but very often when it fails, I realise that I'm punching forwards with my fist. My fists might be going in the direction of the tsuki-tare, but the kensen not. My concentration should be put on the kensen.

No comments: