About this blog..

This is a blog that I started in April 2006, just after I first put on my bogu (kendo armour). It collects the advices given by more experienced kendo practitioners as well as those from my own experiences. Both technical and the mental aspects of kendo are written in the blog. I hope someone will find them useful or interesting at least!

Sunday, January 20, 2008

First time in Kenyu

I just came back from Kenyu, another dojo in Paris amongst the many Chinese shops and restaurants. Owing to the great number of kenshi at Budo XI on Saturdays (meaning very little room and very few jigeiko), I opted to come to Kenyu on Sundays instead.

The training was superb. Many 4th/5th Dan senpais and a couple of 6th/7th Dan Senseis (one of them is Olivry Sensei). We spent 20 mins on kihon and then mawari-geiko for an hour. Interesting note is that I have never been to any dojo that spends as much time as they do on warming up and stretching, which I think is very good given the number of sensei who have chronicle back problems.

There are two "hickies" on my neck from running into the opponents' kensens. A lesson to be learned! However, what annoys me is that some people are very quick to lower their kensen to the navel level when I was attacking, so that with chudan-no-kamae I couldn't put his kensen off-centre. And the result is that I get stopped by the kensen stuck to my chest. Some people do it so often that I wonder: Is it good kendo? I have a couple of ideas to try for breaking the centre in this senario. I will try this to see if it works before writing it here..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

哈 你也跑去13區的劍友
不知道你有沒有遇到Nicolas Di Meo與光頭的Yannick?