About this blog..

This is a blog that I started in April 2006, just after I first put on my bogu (kendo armour). It collects the advices given by more experienced kendo practitioners as well as those from my own experiences. Both technical and the mental aspects of kendo are written in the blog. I hope someone will find them useful or interesting at least!

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Post-flu and back to Dresden

After a week of rest from a severe flu, I went to the training yesterday. My wrist snap is much stronger thanks to the suburi I've been doing. Footwork is however difficult to practise home, since I usually just kneel on the floor to swing the shinai in order that my ceiling doesn't get destroyed. I should continue my suburis.

It has also been a few months time since I joined the university's Tuesday training when the beginners practise. It's already towards the end of the semester and still a lot of beginners stayed on, which is very encouraging. I think this is undoubtedly due to Stephan's ability to make a training fun for them. It's not an easy task. How do you make kendo fun while teaching them solid foundations? Being too demanding takes away their fun. Being too easy going scarifies the rigor of good kendo. I don't know. 

No comments: