About this blog..

This is a blog that I started in April 2006, just after I first put on my bogu (kendo armour). It collects the advices given by more experienced kendo practitioners as well as those from my own experiences. Both technical and the mental aspects of kendo are written in the blog. I hope someone will find them useful or interesting at least!

Monday, August 16, 2010

Short shiai-geiko

Last Friday we had a short shiai-geiko. I was in the less strong division, so I won all except one. My problem was that there is a tendency for me to return to kamae before any strikes, so when my opponent just comes up and strikes relentlessly, I just defend... Need to adjust this mentality for competitions.

Ho-Sensei told us:
  • In Shiai, one cannot wait until the opponent shows a complete opening before striking. One should strike when it appears just a little chance.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I'm trying to learn this skill, too. Well, on a more basic level, at least. I tend to fight too defensively, even in jigeiko, and I have been trying to overcome that and learn to see an opening, even a small one, and try to take it. It's definitely a big adjustment for me, but so far I've seen a little progress. Keep it up, Ivan!